Tuesday 8 July 2014

for my third book review

I am now officially half way through my Australia Women Writers Reading Challenge!!
This is book 3 of 6 and once again a country romance novel.
Image Source
I had never heard of Barbara Hannay before but saw this in my local Big W store, read the blurb and was immediately intrigued, and it was on sale (I'm not going to lie). Barbara lives in Far North Queensland and the book is set in Queensland which I think also drew me to it, like I could actually know the people that she was writing about as the places she wrote about were so familiar to me.

"There must be some mistake" Zoe tells her Mother "You and Dad can't both be O blood type"
"Why not?" her mother asks, "Because two O parents can't make a B baby."

And that was how Zoe found out her father was not really her father... Even her Mother hadn't thought it possible that the handsome farmer from Far North Queensland whom she'd had a fling with could be Zoe's father but the blood tests don't lie. Zoe, a chef running her own catering business in inner city Brisbane, immediately starts to research he biological father who runs a large cattle station in the Gulf and before she knows it she has applied for a job to be their new camp cook, sworn to secrecy by her mother.

Out on the muster at Mullinjim, Zoe meets brooding cattleman Mac McKinnon. Every instinct tells Mac that Zoe is hiding something, and as the pressure to reveal her mother's secret builds, Zoe fears she must confide in him or burst.

Another book that kept me turning the pages because, despite predicting correctly how the story was going to end, I wasn't sure how it was going to get there and I was not disappointed.

This book also produced one of my favourite lines from a book that I've read in a long time:
"I've spent my life drifting with the currents, rather than steering my own course"

Love that line and it really resonates with me at the moment!
If you want to check out my previous reviews click below:


Linking up this review with Essentially Jess for IBOT and at the Australian Women Writers webpage

Am also keen to get some suggestions for my next book, something a little different perhaps?


No comments:

Post a Comment