Monday 26 May 2014

to confess my love of exercise

Given that I started this blog as part of my 12wbt journey, exercise has/is a big part of my life. So when Kirsty at My Home Truths asked us to confess about exercise I knew this was going to be an easy one to write!

To confess, I actually wish I had more time to exercise! It is something that I really enjoy and over the last 18 months have probably come close to saying I love it. When I've been thinking about possible career change options, doing something in the health and fitness industry has crossed my mind. Don't get me wrong, I know I am no athlete, but I do enjoy it.

I am currently 2 weeks into my second round of bootcamp. I am thoroughly enjoying it again. I had always been the type of person that exercised alone, would hit the gym by myself and do my own thing but as things just plateaued and my motivation wained I decided it was time to up the anti. My sister had done several rounds of this bootcamp and I had been interested in joining her for some time but the training times just didn't work for me with work but then they changed and I was able to join. BEST. DECISION. EVER.

The bootcamp motivates me and challenges me like never before and has me doing things I never thought that I could. The girls are amazing and push me to be and do better. Don't get me wrong there are times where I really really don't want to go, (we train at 6pm and it's starting to get really dark and really cold at that time and that's after a loooong day at work) but I just have to remind myself how awesome I feel at the end of it..

It's because of that feeling that I really wish I did have more time to exercise. I feel like I am always using it as an excuse but work really does (is) take it's toll on me, physically, emotionally and mentally. I already get up at 5:15am most mornings to ensure I get to work on time, I drive past people on my way to work who are out for their morning walks and I get a pang of jealousy that makes me wish that I was them. By the time I am finished work I am usually so exhausted that I don't want to exercise but bootcamp has made me accountable and I can push through that. Unfortunately I don't make it to every session because of work but I do the best I can, I try not to think of it as an excuse but just the reality that is my life at the moment. I am taking some of my own advice though and making some changes that will make things a little easier.

We set goals with our trainer this round and I am happy to report that today I ticked one off! I have 3 main goals, all of which relate to running of some description. We have a lovely road here on the edge of the range that is often a haven for walkers, runners and bike riders as it provides some hilly challenges coupled with amazing views of the valley below. It's 4.13km around and my goal was to run the whole way. I knew that I could run that distance, I have done it plenty of times before, it was whether I could run that distance with the long and sometimes steep hills, but I am stoked to say I DID IT!!!

Am guessing because of the hills and the fact it's on the edge of the range the GPS must have dropped out on my Lorna Jane app, so the distance and map is wrong but the time is right! Was so happy to get it in in under half and hour!
My sweaty every part of me hurts selfie at the end!

Running is probably my exercise of choice, not sure why but I do enjoy it, but everything else that my trainer is pushing me to do is only going to make me a fitter and stronger runner and that's gotta be good for me right? If I had to choose an exercise I didn't like it would probably be burpees.. (and I'm really hoping my trainer doesn't read this or she'll probably make me do more!)

So confess, are you a lover or a hater of exercise??

Check out My Home Truths for other confessions and One Mother Hen for Open Slather.


No comments:

Post a Comment